With most modern cars offering nifty and comprehensive infotainment systems with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capabilities, you’d think there wouldn’t be much demand for smartphone car holders. However, that’s far from the case, and is probably the most robust and feature-rich car smartphone holder on the market.
The fact is, there are still millions of relatively old cars on the road today, and most of them have no smartphone capabilities whatsoever. For those looking for a smartphone car holder that goes above and beyond what is expected, the QI is for you.
Not only can it hold smartphones with screen sizes of up to 6 inches, it can rotate 360 degrees, tilt front and back, features a car charger in the form of a Micro USB plug, and can wirelessly charge your device. Can you name any other smartphone holder that offers a car charger, let alone wireless charging?
The Montar Air QI is well-built and works as intended. The holder allows you to secure and release the smartphone with one hand, doing so by pressing a button for releasing and squeezing the “hands” around the smartphone.
Several mounting options allow you to suction it to several places in your car (e.g. window and cup holder), including a 3M sticker for attachment to your dashboard or windshield. If you so happen to have a vent mount, you can swap the QI’s base with it.
Wireless charging, which works as intended, is possible thanks to a power adapter (plugs into your cigarette lighter) with a universal micro USB end that connects to the QI’s mount, sparing you from having to use a proprietary plug that, if damaged, could render the charger useless.
The Montar QI Smartphone Car Holder is a quality product but, like everything in life, it’s not perfect. For starters, because of the QI wireless charger, it is more bulky than many competing units, making it somewhat difficult to find an ideal place to mount it; secondly, the micro-usb car charger cable appears to have a poorer build quality than everything else; and thirdly, a high price compared to non-QI chargers will certainly turn some buyers off.
Fortunately, these issues are nitpicks when compared to many features you get and how well everything seems to work. If you have a QI-chargeable smartphone and you need a smartphone holder for your car, the Montar QI Car Smartphone Holder is a great choice.
Post your questions in the comments below and we’ll answer them to the best of our abilities.
Tips on Choosing LED Lights for Your Car
Have you ever been baffled by the vast number of car LED lights available on the market? Are you wondering how to choose the right ones to add a custom and ultra-cool look to your car? Well, you’re in luck, because we have prepared a guide that we think will help you.
First, you’ll need to know how many lights (e.g. map-reading lights, dome lights, cargo lights, and courtesy lights) on your car need to be replaced, keeping in mind that not all cars have the same number of lights and not all lights have the same design. The number and location of each light will vary by vehicle make, model and year, so it’s important you do your research.
Next, you’ll need to figure out each individual light’s bulb size. You can do it by removing the light covers with a screwdriver to get a look at the bulb. Note of how many of each type of bulb you need and be sure to write everything down! The last thing you want is to get to the store only to realize you forgot something.
If you’re having problems finding the figures, just consult the Bulb Fitment Guide (check online), which will ask you for the vehicle year and model before providing the answer you’re looking for.
That out of the way, it’s time to choose your colors, of which there are many. Not all bulb colours are interchangeable or suited for the same purposes. For example, Xenon white lights are best for dome lights because they give off the ideal color for reading, while coloured bulbs work best for door lights, cargo lights and other lights, which are generally less utilitarian in their function.
Finally, choose the actual LED bulbs. With so available from online outlets like Amazon and New Frog, you are bound to find the right one for your car and taste.
LED lights are some of the easiest and most effective ways to change up the look of your car. You and your neighbor could have the exact same vehicle, but just changing the light bulbs to custom colours could make yours the kind of vehicle that turns heads.
Always consult an expert before making a choice should you need advice.
How to Get Huge Savings on Car Accessories
Whether you are prepping up your car for a long road trip ahead or just giving it routine upgrade, this piece of news is for you: you don’t have to go bankrupt over your car accessory purchases!
Far too many car owners spend too much money on car accessories; worse yet, a large chunk of their expenses come from non-essential car accessories. While we can’t all agree on whether or not you need those obnoxious halogen lights, we can at least agree on the simple fact that saving money on car accessory costs are not a bad thing.
We want you to take note of these helpful tips on how to get huge savings on car accessories before your next shopping spree:
- Search around for online vouchers. The internet is not just a treasure trove of top quality car accessory shops and forums to converse with like-minded vehicle owners; it is also a bottomless source for money-savvy voucher hunters. Give it a few hours, sign up for newsletters, follow , and keep an eye out for bloggers to get first dibs on any voucher giveaways.
- Shop online. The convenience of online shopping is not only about shopping gin the comfort of your home — more importantly, it also about being able to browse and compare prices from different sources all at once. Online options are endless! When shopping online, go for credible shops (aka read reviews), consider local sellers to save on shipping costs, and make sure that you know what you are looking for (technical knowledge on accessories will help shorten shopping time, as well as reduce the risk of buying the wrong item).
- Schedule your shopping. Car accessories are something that you would not want to purchase on a whim. Unless your vehicle urgently needs the item, put it on a list of all your must buys and schedule it for special holidays and sale seasons. Keep a tab of these schedules by securing a spot on your favorite shops’ email lists. It requires some level of patience and self-control, especially if you’re giddy to get your hands on a certain hot item. However, remember that good things come to those who wait (i.e. extra cash savings).
- Follow the right people on social media. Over the years, social media has become an essential tool for online marketers to reach out to and expand their customer base. Aside from following local auto bloggers and shopping blogs, following relevant people (and pages) on Instagram, , and will help you grab some excellent discount opportunities – from contests to giveaways.
- Buy quality accessories. Spending money on more expensive but higher quality accessories will likely last you for a longer period of time rather than cheaper, second rate alternatives. The savings on quality items may not be immediately felt but you will definitely appreciate it in the long run. Remember, your mantra should be quality over anything else.
Following these tips will give your money extra mileage on your car accessory purchases!
Meet ZUS, Possibly the Best USB Car Charger for the Money [Review]
US-based tech company Nonda boldly claims that their ZUS car charger is the best USB car charger for the money, and they might be right.
We had the opportunity to compare the ZUS to a ReTrak Premier Micro 5 car charger — a good representation of an average car charger — for over month, and it easily came out on top.
For starters, the classy, German-engineered ZUS is built like a tank and feels like it could last an eternity. That’s because it’s constructed from the highest grade German Bayer material and is the only USB car charger to meet the US military’s MIL-STD-810G high temperature standard. All its metal parts are coated in titanium.
ZUS is said to emit 35 percent less heat and can last 2 times longer than normal USB car chargers.
Unlike the ReTrak, it comes with two USB ports rather than just one, allowing you to charge multiple electronics at the same time, even when your car is turned off. With a max 4.8A output, it also charges notably faster and is capable of fully charging 2 iPads in around 3.75 hours.
The ZUS car charger is the very definition of quality, but it gets even better. In addition to its solid construction and nearly unmatched charging capabilities, it comes with an automatic car locator that is accessed via your smartphone. All you have to do is install the free ZUS App, connect, and you’re good to go!
ZUS automatically remembers where you parked your car after turning the engine off, letting you track it with a compass-like display (pictured above). The system is not always 100% accurate at finding your car, but it works well enough to be of use.
If there is one thing holding ZUS back from completely taking over the global USB car charger market, it is its relatively premium price (costs up to $50 in the U.S.). But, hey, you get what you pay for, right?
It’s hard, if not downright impossible, to find a USB car charger as durable, powerful, versatile and feature-rich as ZUS, and I can attest that it’s worth every penny and possibly even more.
Visit the for more details, and let us know if you have any questions about my experience with it in the comment section below.